Thursday, July 29, 2010

Random Thoughts For July 1st

The company offered me a run originating in Athol, Massachusettes. I declined because I didn't want to go to a place where there are a bunch of Athols. Is that Daffy Duck talking?


Why can't I-95 in Connecticut be as smooth as I-95 in New Jersey? Oh, that's right, in New Jersey it's a Turnpike and not really an Interstate. They charge big bucks for smooth. Smoother than Connecticut anyway.

The company offered me a pick up at JFK Airport. I hit decline so hard I nearly broke the button. For starters, the run involved two NYC bridges. That's about $64 in a truck.

The State of New York has new license plates. That's car tags for you Southerners. They're going back to the old orange background with black letters and numbers. For some reason, it prevokes a mind's image of a banged up 1976 Plymouth Fury with the rear orange New York plate hanging by one bolt. Don't know why I envision that. Life is funny that way. In addition, I've always been very wary of states that require both front and back plates...I mean tags.

I had Peter Pan Creamy Plus peanut butter with Premium saltine crackers for a snack this afternoon. I thought of how there was always a box of crackers and a jar of peanut butter for all to share in the kitchen at Bristol Broadcasting in Bristol, Virginia. The handed down story was that someone came in one morning a discovered two little rodent feet and a tail sticking out of an uncovered jar.

The Pilot Truck Stop in Milford, Connecticut was jammed packed last night. Some guy was selling dinners of pork chops or spaghetti and meatballs and all the fixin's with sweet tea included for $10 over the CB radio. Probably better food than the Wendy's in the stop. A driver threatened to call the board of health on the guy. I understand strange food from strange people, but does everybody have to be a cop?

As I pulled out of my parking space and drove down the aisle, two separate trucks pulled out in front of me without looking! I know it wasn't one way. What's going on here?

The weather is quite spring-like up here. Sunny, breezy and 73 degrees right now. It doesn't feel like July, but hey, I'm not complaining. Good sleeping weather.

Two guys look like they're practicing Kung Fu in the parking lot of the Walmart where I'm parked. I guess you got to be ready up here.

A lot of the gas stations up here are small...like a kiosk and offer no public restroom. Not even a shrub or bush around the corner. I don't see pork rinds either.

I have passed Mystic several times on this trip. I wish I had time to investigate and see if there is a Mystic Pizza.

Now that I've been "up north" since June 19th, I think my accent is changing. I'm saying "yoos" and "how you doin'?" I'm even grousing more.

There are lots lof Subaru automobiles in the north. Every Subaru has all wheel drive.

Does anyone want to start a pool as to when I get back to Atlanta?

No comments:

Post a Comment