Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Beehives and The Rocky Mountain High

As I passed the Welcome to Utah sign, I knew in my heart that I would someday return to Idaho. The people, the mountain scenery and the proximatety to Yellowstone in that part of the state surely made an impression on me. Maybe it was all that Idaho sunshine...although they tell me it's not always like that. Anyway, it's on the short list of places to do again.

Utah, this time of the year looks dryer and browner than its neighbor to the north, but there is a certain appeal to it all. The mountains had an interesting "crag" to them and the skies were a spotless deep blue. I layed over in Salt Lake City before going to Famous Potatoland, but didn't get to see the Great Salt Lake. The downside of this job is that you find yourself next to all these great attractions and either don't have the time to explore them or can't take the truck. That's why they call it a job, I guess. You just have to enjoy what you can see. The other sight I wanted to see was the Golden Spike at Promontory. This was the place where they joined the railroad in the 1870's and made it transcontinental. It was a big deal in those days. I didn't see any of the Osmonds, but there was evidence that they were around from the Osmond Realty signs I saw in yards. Somebody in the family is hawking dirt and boards. Strangely enough, I saw no sign of the Mormons. I guess I wasn't looking hard enough. There is supposed to be some sort of Tabernacle nearby. A number of the license plates say "The Greatest Snow On Earth" . Feed that to Andy Rooney. If I remember, the Winter Olympics were here not too long ago, so the Olympic Committee must have agreed regarding the snow. I'll have to come back in the "Old Man" season and see what all the fuss is about. The other claim to fame Utah has is bees. They call it "The Beehive State" There are DOT signs about with beehives on them...not real ones, just illustrations! Like the Gems in Idaho, I haven't fully understood the bee thing. There must be a lot of bees and honey here.

The computer on the truck spit out an opportunity to Colorado and I was excited to go because I had never seen the western part of the state. The trip would be to Grand Junction and then on to Parachute, Colorado. Yes, that's a town and you can find "Rifle, Colorado" right up the highway. This would be a quick pick up and drop off in an effort to head east and get more load opportunities. The plan was keep rolling to Chicago, the busiest freight hub in the whole world. Seven times I have been in Chicago this Summer/Fall and I have yet to layover there. They send me packing quickly out of there. No chance to catch a few innings at Wrigley in that atmosphere.

As I rolled past the familiar Welcome to Colorado sign, the terrain appeared to be a sort of desert mountain land. It didn't take long to make Parachute and what I found was a great little town nestled in a valley next to some large mountains with some welcoming people. The drop off point for the load was in a strangely open area with some rough looking characters that looked like they didn't mingle with outside folk all too often. There was no loading dock, they just took what I had to give them off the truck with a rather large forklift. They just kind of looked at me and spit tobacco juice. Well, ok then. Have a nice day.

It was my birthday and any celebrating was going to be on my own. That's ok, I've had a few of these events. The local bar-b-que joint looked like a logical choice to me. There was a Chinese place, but all I could picture was that scene in the movie "Christmas Story" where the family has Christmas dinner in a Chinese place. I'll pass on the fortune cookies, give me a big plate of western bar-b-que. A Native American looking girl took my order and I scanned some tourist literature I picked up on the front porch as I waited. The pulled pork plate arrived with my obligatory unsweet ice tea. The food was surely a treat, some of the best I've had out on the road. That'll work for a birthday.

The word I expected came and it was Chicago. Back onto I-70 and onward. Now, I have always been a huge fan of Colorado ever since I first set foot here in 1970 as a young teen in the Boy Scouts. I have been fortunate enough to return several times and experience the Rocky Mountain High and take in all its wonders. In the 80's, I visited with my friend Lars and took in Colorado Springs, The Garden of The Gods, Royal Gourge, Cripple Creek and had an excellent stay at the Cheyenne Mountain Inn. I recall kicking back in the massive picture window lounge next to a huge stone fireplace blazing in yellow warmth with my cowboy boots on the hearth and a martini in hand. Snow was falling outside before the backdrop of the imposing Front Range of the Rocky Mountains. It doesn't get much better in my book.

I had been through Colorado in June and had a nice layover in Denver. This time, autumn was in full swing here. The desert-like western part of the state evolved to a wonderland of tall Rockies filled with golden Aspens blanketing the mountainsides. Some of the higher peaks were snow capped as they had been in June. The terrain color changed from a silver brown to a red rock to a blaze of fall color. The grades became increasingly steep and warning signs displayed the need for chains from September 1 to May 1. Every mile produced jaw dropping scenery tempered with "I got to pay attention to this mountain driving" thoughts. The exit for Aspen passed and then Vail sat, nestled like a crown jewel in the valley. I could see white water rafting in the adjacent river and cyclists on bike paths along the banks enjoying autumn's finest scenery and weather. This kind of place makes you want to sing Dan Fogelberg and John Denver the whole way.

All too soon, Denver appeared just like that, the Rockies were behind me. Eastern Colorado, is as flat as a board. There isn't much of a difference passing into Nebraska. I-70 split it was up I-76 and over to I-80, and the race across the plains to Chicago was on.

I'm glad I got the chance to enjoy the West before winter sets in. I can't imagine what it might be like driving some of these steep mountain grades in snow. You have to carry chains if you're going to drive out here. It's the law. If you get stuck, or worse yet, in an accident, they will fine you heavily. Don't need to bang up the pocketbook..or the truck. I'll be back, I'm certain of that. I always manage to return to Colorado. When you experience 15 percent humidity in the summer and powder snow in winter, there's little to hold you back

No comments:

Post a Comment